Law Offices Charles D. Soule Esq New York Immigration Corporate Entertainment Lawyer
Immigration Corporate Entertainment
Immigration Law
Non-Immigrant (Temporary) Visas
Immigrant Visas (Green Cards)
    • Employment-Based Green Cards
    • Family-Based Green Cards
Naturalization / Citizenship
PERM Labor Certifications
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Corporate Law
Company Formation
Investments / Private Equity

Entertainment Law
Contract Negotiation & Drafting

Tel: 800-707-9750
Fax: 646-365-3496

The L-1 visa is available to individuals who have worked at a managerial or executive level, or as an employee with specialized knowledge, for at least one year at an overseas branch or affiliate of the prospective US-based employer.  It is designed as a “transfer” visa, whereby a worker in a foreign company affiliated with a US-based company can be transferred to the US to work for a specified period of time.

Generally, in order to obtain this visa, a US-based employer must file a petition with the USCIS to indicate their sponsorship of an employee for the visa.  The L-1 does not convey permanent residency to its holder, and must either be renewed or the holder must transition to another valid visa status if he or she wishes to remain in the United States.

The L-1 petition must document the visa beneficiary’s overseas position, the prospective US position and the relationship between the US and foreign business entities.  The L-1 visa may be granted initially for up to three years, and may be renewed in two year installments up to a total of seven years.

Dependents of L-1 visa holders may receive derivative authorization to live in the US with the L-1 holder for the duration of the L-1 status.

Our office has extensive experience with the "new office," L-1, which allows a foreign national, often the founder or high-level executive of a successful business overseas, to open a new office in the United States and be allowed to work to develop the new business. In many instances, the new office L-1 is also a path to permanent residency under the EB-1(c) program. Because our office offers business formation and setup services, we can serve as a "one-stop shop" for individuals seeking to utilize the new office L-1. Please contact us for more information.